June 15, 2020 – Not working at the cottage today, but I made a trip to the Mechanicsburg Home Depot to pick up our new picture window. This window goes in the living room, on the porch side of the cottage.
I made a carrier for the back of the truck so that I can safely transport the window. Here is a picture of the window in the truck ready to go to the Land Before Time.
There is a story about this window that I will relate in a later post. As I write this blog it is funny now, but it was not funny at all when it happened. Stay tuned…
August 9, 2019 – Today we started the demolition and re-framing that is necessary to install the third new kitchen window. This window is located over the outside pump house. I am not ready to remove the pump house so this will be a challenge installing new framing and sheathing in this area.
Before we can install any new framing, the existing siding, window and sheathing must be removed. Over the years, this corner of the cottage has undergone attack by wood boring bees and woodpeckers. I am afraid to see what the studs are going to look like after the siding is removed.
Between banana and coffee breaks the demolition went very well. We striped off the siding, removed the window and some of the 1″ oak plank sheathing. It was a surprise to see the Woodpeckers and Boring Bees did not make it through the layer of roofing felt on the wall. The studs and sheathing are still sound.
After completing the demolition, we framed in the rough opening for the new window and installed the exterior plywood wall sheathing. At the end of the day we had the building wrap on this section and we are ready to set the new kitchen window.
First thing tomorrow we will set the new window. With this window installed, there remains only one more old window in the kitchen. We are coming forward into the 21st century slowly but surely.
July 11, 2019 – I picked up the three new windows for our Cot-Taj-Mahal renovation project. They are going home with me tonight and then on to the cottage tomorrow morning. I have them tied down pretty well. Fingers crossed that we make it in one piece.
June 16, 2018 – Today, underneath the cottage, I fixed two leaking cpvc elbows on the water system . In the back bedroom I got the rough opening for the new window framed out. We set the new window in place and sealed it up with Pella weather tape.
On the way to Shy Bear Brewing (our new favorite dining location in Lewistown) I had a run in with a snapping turtle. With a little luck he will make it to the water before getting run over by a lawn mower.
June 5, 2018 – Today I finished the sewer pipe tie in to the existing lateral. Now both the bathroom sink and the toilet flow into the septic tank. Provisions were made to tie in the kitchen sink in the future. Also began to backfill the sewer and drain trenches with pea gravel.
Demo’d the rotted out window/door panels in the back bedroom. Installed a new stud wall with exterior grade plywood and dried it in with a layer of #15lb felt. We worked until it was dark. The new window installation will wait for another day.